Resisting, Delaying or Obstructing Officer under Penal Code 148(a)(1)

Table of Contents MC PhotoCalifornia Penal Code section 148.  (a) (1) says in relevant part that every person who willfully resists, delays, or obstructs any public officer, peace officer, or an emergency medical technician, in the discharge or attempt to discharge any duty of his or her office or employment, shall be punished by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by imprisonment in a county jail not to exceed one year, or by both that fine and imprisonment.  Technically speaking, by resisting, delaying or obstructing an officer from his or her duties, one can be charged with a misdemeanor.

Przasnysz Most Misdemeanor charges carry punishment of up to one year in jail and a $1,000 fine and PC 148(a)(1) is no different.  In addition, a conviction for a misdemeanor for this type of charge can create larger problems for you on applications for future employment.  If you are being charged with what is commonly known as obstruction, you should engage a private attorney like myself to fight your case.  A dismissal is always coveted on these types of cases, but an infraction conviction or a conviction to a more benign misdemeanor would always be preferred over the alternative. In my most recent case involving a charge of PC148(a)(1), I convinced the prosecutor to reduce the charge to a traffic ticket for disturbing the peace (PC415- essentially a ticket for playing loud music at a party).  If you have been charged with obstruction or any other misdemeanor or felony, contact Matthew J. Cohen, Esq. at 818.294.1922 for a consultation immediately.

About the Author

Share this post....

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email

Related Articles....

can the police search you while on probation I. Can The Police Search You While On Probation? This question is often asked by clients who are on probation and the answer to this is generally yes, but there

criminal defense faqs, dui

Criminal Defense FAQs 1. Can a defense lawyer represent a client if he wasn’t his lawyer during the first hearing? Absolutely. During a criminal case, the person being accused of

ten year rule dui

Ten Year Rule for Separate DUI Convictions As criminal defense attorneys, our hope is that any client with a DUI conviction only deals with a DUI once in their lifetime,